Family sponsorship-spouse and children
Family Sponsorship – Spouse, Partner or Dependent Children
Canadian citizens and permanent residents have the right to sponsor their spouse, common-law or conjugal partner to come to Canada under certain requirements. Family sponsorship remains one of the pillars of the Canadian immigration system.
To be a sponsor:
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
- You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
If a sponsor were sponsored and immigrated to Canada under this category, he cannot sponsor a new spouse or partner until a period of five years has elapsed from the day he landed in Canada, becoming a permanent resident. This condition applies regardless of whether the person obtains Canadian citizenship in the interim. The five-year ban does not apply to non-spousal or partner sponsorships.
Who you can sponsor?
You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children.
- Spouse: legally valid marriage in country of origin and under Canadian law
- Common-law partner: At least 1 year of uninterrupted cohabitation in a conjugal relationship
- Conjugal partner: Conjugal relationship for at least 12 months (permanence and commitment similar to marriage or common-law) where couple is prevented from living together due to immigration barriers, religious reasons, sexual orientation or marital status (e.g. married to someone else, where divorce is not possible in country of origin)
- Same-sex relationships: considered valid for immigration purposes under these categories.
Click to share：
- Latest News (7)
Latest Immigration News
- The length of stay for Parents and Grandparents Super Visa is increased to 5 years for each entry
- Sponsor your spouse, children, and common-law partners / Coming back to Canada / Application and Eligibility
- A safe haven for Hong Kong residents, comparing British and Canadian immigration, Canadian lifeboats, saving money and time
- News: Minister of immigration expressed the need to increase the quota for new immigrants under temporary public policies
- Canadian Lifeboat Program (New Pathway to Permanent Residency for Hong Kong Residents)
Latest Immigration News
For the most reliable, latest, and comprehensive immigration information, please follow us on Tianen News Blog, WeChat, Tianen forum, and other social media.
Let immigration experts take over your immigration plan. Tianen offers personalized service to customers and meets different immigration needs for various clients.