Start-Up Visa Program
Application is fast, flexible and cost-effective. Contact us to get your best immigration plan for free in time.
Start-Up Visa Program
The Start-Up Visa program grants Canadian permanent residence to qualified immigrant entrepreneurs. The program aims to recruit innovative entrepreneurs to Canada and link them with the Canadian private sector businesses, (angel investor groups, venture capital funds or business incubators) and facilitate the establishment of their start-up business in Canada.
Successful candidates will receive a Letter of Support from a government-designated entity (angel investor group, venture capital fund or business incubator). The government designated entity is primarily responsible to determine the viability of the applicant’s intended business and present an approved project along with a Commitment Certificate to immigration authorities. Applications are assessed under a pass-fail basis.
Applicants to Canada’s Start-Up Visa program must meet four basic eligibility requirements:
- Have a qualifying business
- Obtain a commitment from a designated entity in the form of a Commitment Certificate and Letter of Support;
- Have sufficient unencumbered, available and transferable settlement funds (amounts updated each year);
- Score a minimum of 5.0 on CLB/NCLC
The required commitment from a designated entity must meet the following criteria:
- A designated angel investor group must confirm that it is investing at least $75,000 CAD into the qualifying business, or two or more commitments from designated angel investor groups totaling $75,000 CAD; OR
- A designated venture capital fund must confirm that it is investing at least $200,000 CAD into the qualifying business or two or more commitments from designated venture capital funds totaling $200,000 CAD; OR
- A designated business incubator must confirm that it is accepting the applicant into its business incubator Program.
In order to qualify, the intended business must be incorporated and carrying on business in Canada at the time the commitment is made and:
- The applicant owns a least 10% of the voting rights in the corporation; AND
- No other person holds 50% or more of the total amount of voting rights in the corporation.
Up to five applicants may have their application for permanent residence supported by the same business investment. However, certain applicants may be designated essential to the intended business. If any of the essential applicants withdraw their application or are refused for other reasons, all other applicants under the same business investment will see their applications terminated.
Applicants who have secured a Commitment Certificate from a designated entity, and who wish to begin working in the business during the processing of their permanent residence application may apply for a short-term work permit on the basis of their Commitment Certificate if the designated entity supports such a request.
To receive a work permit, an applicant must provide:
- A letter of support from the designated entity; and
- Proof of sufficient funds to meet the low-income cut-off (LICO) for their family size, for one year.
To receive permanent residence, the following criteria must be met:
- Applicants must be actively involved in the management of the business within Canada; and
- The operations of the business, or an essential part, must take place in Canada; and
- The business must be incorporated in Canada.
Start-Up Visa program does not apply to applicants who intend to reside in the province of Quebec.
Click to share：
- Latest News (7)
Latest Immigration News
- The length of stay for Parents and Grandparents Super Visa is increased to 5 years for each entry
- Sponsor your spouse, children, and common-law partners / Coming back to Canada / Application and Eligibility
- A safe haven for Hong Kong residents, comparing British and Canadian immigration, Canadian lifeboats, saving money and time
- News: Minister of immigration expressed the need to increase the quota for new immigrants under temporary public policies
- Canadian Lifeboat Program (New Pathway to Permanent Residency for Hong Kong Residents)
Latest Immigration News
For the most reliable, latest, and comprehensive immigration information, please follow us on Tianen News Blog, WeChat, Tianen forum, and other social media.
Let immigration experts take over your immigration plan. Tianen offers personalized service to customers and meets different immigration needs for various clients.